Tuesday, January 16, 2007

I'm Here


The flight was not too bad, watched 4 movies and the time "flew" by. I had a seat in the middle right in front of the drop down projector screen which gave my row about 6 inches of extra legroom. Most people slept on the plane, but I didn't. I went to sleep at 8pm and woke up early the next morning, no jet lag so far. We have a little shower in our bathroom that works well but gets everything soaked in there. I am on the second floor, which is good because there are no elevators.

The food is interesting and plentiful. They bring out a dish one-by-one and place it on a lazy Susanne that you spin. My chopstick skills need lots of work. My host student was trying to teach me, but had to give up. I figure by May, I will have it down. Believe it or not its not just rice. They serve a lot of meat with a variety of different sauces. It gets weird when they bring out the fish, but other than that I haven't starved yet. Everything is pretty cheap here, but I haven't had the chance to do any shopping yet.

There are crazy drivers here and the traffic is basically 24 hour rush hour. We went on a tour to Tienanmen Square, but our bus took so long to get there that we only had like 20 minutes to look around and snap some photos. I will be going back there at some point, to explore the Forbidden City. The bus then dropped us off at a lake where we did some weird ice skating. They had these chair that slid on the ice, pretty fun. A Chinese man kept making us race.



I will add photos as often as I can. The internet is a bit slow here, so it takes awhile to upload them. OK, time for my next dinner adventure.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Hey - the pics are super. Is that your tutor?