Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Today was quite the experience. First I went to lunch with about 7 others. We used the pictures on the menu to order. In all we ordered about 10 plates of different food. The bill came down to about $1.20 a person. Pretty crazy. Also a 20 minute taxi ride costs about $1. The driving around here is intense. Lane lines mean nothing and traffic signals are more of guidelines.

The above picture was not taken by me, but this is where I went shopping today. It is a 6 story building that has all sorts of things. Silk kimonos, ties, rolexes, designer bags, custom made suits, gloves, belts, electronics, pearls, basically anything. (99% of the stuff is fake, but still its pretty nice.)

There are NO set prices, which means you must bargain. I bought a leather briefcase/bag for my classes here. They started the price at about 300 Kuai which is about $50. All you have to do is say tai gui le (too expensive) and the price slowly drops. It really drops as you begin to walk away. I got the bag for 90 Kuai or about $11. They are not afraid to grab a hold of you either. I had one chinese women pulling me to her store and another to the store opposite. It was pretty funny and it is a lot like a game.

My friend who is asian walks in front of me and they don't say a word to him. I guess I must look like a sucker. He is good at bartering and helped a lot of us, the chinese people got mad at him a lot for telling us we could still go lower. It was quite the experience and a lot of fun. Let me know if anyone wants anything while I'm here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with the Chinese, you do look like a sucker :) You need to have one of those mean stares like your sister! How come you haven't pulled out that chopstick helper I got you for Christmas????

Anonymous said...

Make sure you buy at least one suit while you are over there. I know a few people who did while in China. They will tailor it to fit you perfectly, and for very cheap! It will come in handy when you're looking for a job after graduation...

Anonymous said...

Make sure you buy at least one suit while you are over there. I know a few people who did while in China. They will tailor it to fit you perfectly, and for very cheap! It will come in handy when you're looking for a job after graduation...